Hair & Fashion
Hair & Fashion
- Item No.
- Product Description: Whether long or cropped, curly or straight, hairstyles are a potent force - in combination with the latest fashions, they create unforgettable images: from Vidal Sassoon's 'Five Point Cut' for Mary Quant to the punk look of the 1970s and Sam McKnight's transformative styles for Princess Diana. Hair is fashion and fashion is hair, a fascinating relationship which is investigated in detail in this timely book. Hair & Fashion considers both the historical development of this relationship and its contemporary significance, focusing on key moments from the 1920s bob to the long-haired hippie look of the 1960s and the more contemporary Hoxton Fin. The role of colour for hair and its cultural meanings have become increasingly important in the twenty-first century, an era in which most women have dyed their hair at least once, and Hair & Fashion also looks closely at the role of the blonde, brunette and redhead in popular culture. The stimulating text is supported by glamorous and evocative images, including ground-breaking fashion shoots by top photographers, as well as new, specially commissioned photographs. Haircuts and hairstyles, as this book reveals, are no mere simple incursions into hair taming and conformity but a living, growing embodiment of cultural codes and meanings with the potential to turn someone into a walking work of art. Caroline Cox is a leading fashion authority whose work investigates the interface between fashion, hair and culture. Her books on fashion history and theory have been published internationally and include: Good Hair Days: A History of British Hairstyles (Quartet Books, 1999); Lingerie: A Lexicon of Style (Scriptum Editions, 2000) and Stiletto(Mitchell-Beazley, 2004). She broadcasts regularly on fashion history and beauty culture for the BBC and lectures worldwide. Lee Widdows is a Senior Lecturer at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design where she teaches on the internationally renowned BA (Honours) Fashion course.
- generic_text_8: Hardback
- generic_text_3: Lee Widdows & Caroline Cox
- generic_text_7: 1851774572
- generic_text_4: 04-Apr-05
- generic_text_10: V&A Publishing
- generic_text_5: 128
- generic_text_6: 85 col 65 b/w
- generic_text_2: 290 x 247mm